Wednesday, September 23, 2009

BVC Week III, Fiestas Patrias

As I said, had last week off for the Fiestas Patrias (Independence Holiday), basically the biggest holiday in Chile... yes, even bigger than Christmas. The celebrating started on Friday of the previous week as the school made the transition from celebrating the Semana del Colegio (week of the school) to the festivities of the Fiestas Patrias. After the student competitions were finished for the Semana del Colegio, there was a Mass held at the school with all of the students and staff. Afterwards, in the same outdoor court where the Mass was held, some of the teachers danced the Cueca. The Cueca (pronounced kway-ka) is a traditional folkloric Chilean dance that is about as symbolic of the Fiestas Patrias in Chile as apple pie is of Thanksgiving in the US. Interested readers could go to You Tube and search the terms “Chile” and “Cueca” and I’m sure you could see what it’s all about. The dancers were dressed in full Huaso and Huasa regalia (traditional Chilean cowboy/girl) and it was quite entertaining to watch. After the students left, there was a party for the staff in the cafeteria where we ate Empanadas and drank Chicha, a very sweet alcoholic drink somewhat like apple cider perhaps. We then got to see more Cueca dancing. David actually danced in front of everyone…they tried to get me to try out my Cueca dance moves too, but I stayed firmly glued to my chair.

The following day, Saturday, is when we left for our 5-day get away at the beach. The parents of one of the Oblates from the other Oblate house are both well-respected heart doctors and own a beautiful house on top of a hill that overlooks the ocean and they let us stay there. I learned that when Chileans go on vacation they take relaxing seriously. The Oblates mostly sat around and watched the tennis playoffs. I can handle sitting around for about a day or two but then I get itchy to do something, so I might have gotten a little bored, but I was on vacation in a beautiful house with an awesome view of the sea, so I won’t complain too much.

We came back in time to celebrate the 18th ,the independence day, in Santiago. We went to Parque O’Higgins, a big park where there were a bunch of stands and tents set up selling Empanadas and shishkobobs and barbequed meat. Then on the 19th we had our own barbeque at the Oblates’ house.

This week we’ve been back at the school working, helping in the English classes and working on developing a recycling program for the school, a concept that is lacking in Chilean society it seems.

I’m glad to be back in Santiago though. I missed the housemaid’s cooking while we were gone. Seriously, she makes all of our dinners from scratch and they’re awesome! Her name’s Maria and I’ve only met her twice because she comes during the day and I’m always at the school, but I’ve decided I want to smuggle her back to Minnesota.

click for photos

No comments: